Information on Specific Tokai Models
Tokai Sound Stream Guitars
New from Tokai.
Tokai has introduced new guitars which contain a new patent applied for body design at Summer
NAMM in Nashville 2004. These are the new Sound Stream models featured in guitar and bass
Here are some details on the new body design. A string vibration transmits parallel to wood fibers/
grains four times faster than it does perpendicularly. By creating a sandwhich design by glueing a
seperate piece between the top and back a high speed sound reflection is produced. This new structure
of the body does not only create the high speed sound reflection, but also a longer sustain and
a clear sound.
Also the sound flows through a player's body while as one plays the guitar. The wood fiber/grain
derection of the middle wood is perpendicular to the top wood nad the back wood. So the middle
wood transmits a string vibration very fast to the whole body. Tokai reports that the sound is
very close to the old vintage sound.
Sound Stream Ad
Wilkinson Designed Tokai's
Click here for information on Wilkinson designed Tokai Soundstream models.
This is a new model from Tokai with the following features:
List Price: $1199
Street Price: $699 (available at Mike's Music)
- Mahogany/Alder body with set in Mahogany neck
- Flamed Maple Top with Matching Headstock
- Abalone Inlays and binding
- Abalone Inlay around body neck and headstock
- Indian Rosewood Fingerboard
- Tokai Special design Zebra Pickups and improved electronics
- Also available in black with covered pickups and gold hardware
Here are the pictures:
Love Rocks Relic Model
These guitars have been built specifically for the UK market with a total of 12 being built in
2002 and most likely the same number being made in 2003. Here is what we know about them:
Here are the pictures:
- They are all LS75F models
- Solid maple top and nitro lacquer finish
- Price - £1,200.00
Custom Shop Love Rocks
These are made in Korea and they are basically the same as
the 2001 limited editions. They went back to the original Les Paul design
and the 2001 Japanese Les Paul headstock with the little bump in the
headstock. See below (2001 Limited Edition Love Rocks for details).
They feature Mahogany body and neck with Flamed Sycamore Top and Rosewood
fingerboard. They are serial numbered and hand crafted in Korea to keep
the costs down.
2001 Limited Edition Love Rocks
These guitars are designed to be a lower cost version of the
Japanese guitar and are built in Korea. These Limited Editions are
NOT Korean style Tokais, they are Japanese "Models". In other words
they are built to Japanese specs instead of Korean specs. Instead of
Alder, they are made with solid mahogany throughout and are set up and
constructed like the great Tokai's of the past. Differences between
the 2001's and the Original 1970's/80's Love Rocks are mainly in the
bridge mount in that the posts were screwed right into the body.
Also, I've been told that these guitars have a scarf jointed headstock
which is different from the Japanese made Love Rocks.
These guitars are numbered by the model, no serial number. Each of
the three models has corresponding numbers stamped on the back in Gold
ink like the old 1958-59 Les Pauls. And yes, the Truss Rod Covers say:
MM2001 Limited Edition. These are limited guitars. They will stop
making these special models in December of 2001.
Here are the total specs:
- Solid Mahogany Set Neck and Body
- PAF Pickups (P90's in Gold Top).
- Sycamore Flamed Tops on Models 205802 & 201959.
- High Quality Electronics throughout.
- Cream Pickguard
- "Klusson" Copy Tuners
- Each guitar comes set up with "10 Gauge" Guitar Strings
The guitar has been ID'd!!!
Here are the particulars:
- Tokai Model SD652, circa 1986.
- Body: alder ; Neck: maple"C" ; Fingerboard: rosewood, 22 frets
- Tremelo: Ayers Rocker V ; 1xVol, 1xTone, P/ups: 2xLaurence White H/B
- Tone knob has coil-tap ; Price 65,000 yen
Love Rock IIs
There are 4 Love Rock II models with difference being the tops. All models have the
- Mahogany set necks with Rosewood fretboards
- GEB201 Chrome bridges
- Volume, Tone, Pickup Toggle and 2 mini switches for coil taps
- Pickups 2 H-3 Humbuckers
|LR60||3 piece top, mahogany back||VF, CS, CT, BB|
|LR65||2 piece top, mahogany back||VF, CS|
|LR70||Flames sycamore laminated top, hard maple middle, mahogany back||VF, CS, TB, SDR, HS, WR|
|LR75||Quilted maple laminated top, hard maple middle, mahogany back||VF, CS, OAK, HDC|